Psalm 6 (1): Lord Deliver Me

Thoughts from Psalm 6 in six parts (Each section begins with the verses I will comment on, followed by a prayer and a concluding verse).

= Introduction =

Turn O LORD and deliver me;
save me because of your unfailing love.
No one remembers you when he is dead.
Who praises you from the grave?

Not every Psalm entitled 'A psalm of David' can reliably be ascribed to the king himself but this one bears all the hallmarks of this resilient yet vulnerable, confident yet contrite ruler of Israel. It seems to be in the darkest times we meet face to face with our maker, when we have a true heart-to-heart - as if we have to come to the end of ourselves to find the beginning of God. Psalm 6 finds David at this place but the scenario doesn't present a jelly of a man pleading for mercy. Rather, we see someone who, even in the depths of despair, has a quiet and undying confidence in a God who is not to be served in blind allegiance. "Test me in this", says the LORD (from the mouth of the prophet Malachi). "Press hard after God" others have said.

=== 1 ===

LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger
or discipline me in your wrath.

In John's Gospel we read of a man born blind. The disciples ask whose sin it was that resulted in his blindness. It was generally accepted that suffering was a punishment from God. Job's friends had no doubt that his troubles were the result of sin that he would not admit to and it may be that David had his own detractors who were more than happy to say "I told you so". It's not clear where David sees his troubles coming from, but what is clear is that he believes God to be sovereign.

If this is from God, David wants assurance that he is not angry with him; it's one thing to suffer and another to have God as your enemy. In Samuel 24, David sins against the LORD and he has the choice of being humiliated by his enemies or being struck by God. He decides to "fall into the hands of the LORD, for his mercy is great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men."

Whatever its origin, David takes his suffering to God because he knows that God will deliver him. His only fear is that God is angry and vengeful; but if this is the case he has no recourse anyway. Why fear men who act on a whim when you know exactly where you stand with God. Why fear men who may condemn you but cannot ultimately deliver you. Its best to cut out the middleman: forget the monkey; speak to the organ grinder. David knows that in all things God disciplines him for his own good but first he must settle accounts.

Prayer

LORD, if I have caused you to be angry or occasioned your wrath, please forgive me because I cannot stand against you. If you are against me I have no hope. If you will forgive me, by all means rebuke and discipline me because I know that I will benefit in the end. Prune me so that I will bear fruit; polish me so that I will reflect your glory; teach me and I will be wise.

Verse

Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses (Proverbs, 27:6)

THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.™ Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Fine

God Doesn't Care

A Lib Dem in the Coalition for Marriage