Psalm 6 (6): The Lord Accepts my Prayer

Thoughts from Psalm 6 in six parts (Each section begins with the verses I will comment on, followed by a prayer and a concluding verse).

=== 6 ===

Away from me, all you who do evil,
for the LORD has heard my weeping.
The LORD has heard my cry for mercy;
the LORD accepts my prayer.
All my enemies will be overwhelmed with shame and anguish;
they will turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

Who is my enemy? Jesus reminded the Jews that they were taught to hate their enemy but love their neighbour. It was God's plan they should be set apart for him and the only way they could do that was to have a completely different lifestyle to their neighbour nations. Their neighbour nations practiced idolatry and witchcraft. They sacrificed their children, had little value for human life and were generally reprobates. This was not the pool where you would choose the mother of your children. So wherever Israel conquered they were to put to the sword every one of the inhabitants to rid the land of evil. This sounds like ethnic cleansing but the Jews were often reluctant to carry out the task. These were promiscuous and fun loving people - this was party time. But God had already called time on their debauchery - this was the morning after - clear up time. These enemies that David speaks of are not those he has fallen out with - they are enemies of God and everything God stands for.

But who is my enemy? Your enemy is not the mugger who wants your wallet or the colleague who steals your promotion. Your enemy isn't the politician who takes an opposite view to you on government policy. Your enemy is whatever stands between you and God. You can be your own worst enemy. It could be your lifestyle choices, your attitude, even your religious zeal. More importantly, your enemy is God's enemy. What does God hate? God hates oppression, injustice, apathy, greed, abuse and self-interest. Seek first the kingdom of God because that's where he rules in righteousness. Sit where he sits and see with his eyes. Feel his pain and weep with him over the sons of men. Feel the heat of his anger as he looks upon oppression and injustice. If you have a heart for God you will say, like Isaiah, "Here I am. Send me!"

Prayer

Lord, may our hearts burn as we look at the world through your eyes and teach us to love our enemies but hate yours. Let us see and worship the God of both the New and Old Testaments because you are unchanging. Help us to see the logs in our eyes without being obsessed with them. May we know your unmerited favour so that we can extend that grace to others.

Verse

"Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the alter. With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sins atoned for."Then I heard the voice of the LORD saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am, send me!"(Isaiah 6:5-8).

THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.™ Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Fine

God Doesn't Care

A Lib Dem in the Coalition for Marriage