Crime Figures

CoVID-19 Day 35

I’ve just corrected my last entry. I marked it down as day 24 (10 days too short). Since I started this diary I’ve written 40 articles (including this one) which is more than a week’s work in just over a month (and its not my job).

I’m looking out on an intense sunset marking the end of another day, a day where I recorded one of my own songs written in a hotel room in Atlanta Georgia. Its the longest video I’ve posted because it includes an explanation of how the song came about and what significance each verse and the chorus has. It’s an embellished story of my trip to Tennessee and the country song that came out of it.


when you have a home secretary proud of the decrease in shoplifting at a time when most shops are shut


Yesterday I recorded a song I’ve loved for 40 years but have only just learned to play. I love playing it and am pleased how the recording came out. I think it sounds professional and that’s significant, not because there’s any money in it but because it helps my confidence. For all the concerns arising from the lockdown I feel more confident and am enjoying playing more than I have for a while. Its also been a good time to improve my writing skills. I just need to improve my work rate and get reading — I’m embarrased by how few books I’ve read in my lifetime.

I sense many have settled into a new normal and I suspect that’s not specifically down to the pandemic or the nature of the lockdown. Whatever strange situation we find ourselves in we learn to adapt because that’s part of our survival instinct. The only alternative would be to go stir crazy. And new challenges inspire invention and creativity. Added to that is the built in, but irrational, sense that if we are denied what we need we will die. The novelty of discovering that we are more adaptable than we believed can be liberating and refreshing — even exciting. Unfortunately its short lived and we need to be prepared for when the bubble bursts.

Another product of this lockdown is an unhealthy dependence on those at the helm. Regardless of how well they are handling the crisis they are driving the agenda and its only natural that we look to the government as we are more dependent on their decisions than we would normally be. Cast adrift on this lifeboat, the world outside is not friendly or assuring. But while there is a benefit in having a designated leader it also limits your options. Challenging that leadership can be unsettling but there is a need to recognise that one can be both a team player and be objective.

That sense of perspective helps when you have a home secretary proud of the decrease in shoplifting at a time when most shops are shut.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Fine

God Doesn't Care

A Lib Dem in the Coalition for Marriage