The Past I'll Keep

A Poem

They say the pain will surely pass
The tunnel's light will cast its beam
Your feet will touch new blades of grass
New dawn dispel a troubled dream


The lesson of the starless night
Trod wearily with leaden feet
Will soon give way to warmth and light
Your aching bones infused with heat


And though the new seem odd and strange
Familiar faces will be seen
Some things not even times can change
They will be what they've always been


So life beyond the tunnel's end
Will be to you the future's gift
And if you make the path your friend
The journey long may well be swift


But I'll not take the sleeping draught
Or drag my feet as if asleep
Stride to the fore my face abaft
With steely grip the past I'll keep

© Chris Price 2010

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Fine

God Doesn't Care

A Lib Dem in the Coalition for Marriage